Octopus and Cucumber Vinegared Salad
Vinegared things is called “Sunomono” in Japanese, an oil-free healthy salad.
There are many variety of fish and shellfish in Japan surrounded by sea. And I was born and raised in a fishing village, obsessive about seafood.
I know that sometimes Japanese seafood specialties are horrifying or tempting to foreigners. A typical example is octopus.
There are four edible species generally.
- Ma-Dako Octopus vulgaris, the commonest as edible octopus
- Ii-Dako Octopus ocellatus
- Mizu-Dako Octopus Enteroctopus dofleini, known as giant Pacific octopus or North Pacific giant octopus
- Yanagi-Dako Octopus conispadiceus
Generally Ma-Dako and Ii-Dako are eaten in Kansai region, and Mizu-Dako and Yanagi-Dako eaten in Hokkaido, Tohoku, and Kanto region.
Today I’ve bought a half body of boiled small-size “Ma-Dako” from Akashi fishery, Hyogo Prefecture.
- Cut cucumber (1 medium size), make small incisions diagonally from the edge to 2/3 depth.
(Although I skip if you want to make Jabara-Giri style, turn over and make the same incisions from the other side.)
- Soak them in salted water for a quarter of an hour.
- Cut octopus into bite size pieces.
- Make vinegared dressing with ingredients as below.
rice vinegar (3 tbs), dashi broth (2 tbs), soy sauce (1 tbs), and sugar (0.5-1 tbs)
- Marinate cucumber and octopus in dressing.
Sunomono salad is oil free. It’s so healthy.
is an octopus. There are four edible species in Japan, Ma-Dako (Octopus vulgaris), Ii-Dako (Octopus ocellatus), Mizu-Dako (Octopus Enteroctopus dofleini), and Yanagi-Dako (Octopus conispadiceus). Commonly “Tako” indicates Ma-Dako. 真蛸（まだこ） literally “genuine octopus” 飯蛸（いいだこ） “rice octopus” 水蛸（みずだこ） “water octopus” 柳蛸（やなぎだこ） “willy octopus”
is a cucumber. 胡瓜（きゅうり） literally “cucurbitaceous vegetable from ancient country in China”