Glossy shine of teriyaki chicken make me feel so hungry.
This composition will be helpful for you as the baseline of teriyaki melas, when seasoning to your taste.
For example, although I cook teriyaki fish such as “Buri no Teriyaki” with the ratio of 1:1:1, when cooking teriyaki chicken I prefer soy sauce : sake : mirin = 1.5:1:1 and add a little bit sugar.
Even more important thing is soy sauce.
“Teriyaki” is used dark soy-sauce “Koikuchi-Shoyu”, that has heavy flavor of soy-sauce maturation. If you are going to keep only one kind of soy sauce, this is the one to buy.
Light soy-sauce “Usukuchi-Shoyu” has milder flavor and much saltier than “Koikuchi-Shoyu”.
Left : dark soy-sauce, Right : light soy-sauce
<How to cook Tekiryaki Chicken>
- Place chicken thigh (400 g) on a frying pan skin sides down.
- Cook at over medium-high heat until both sides are brown.
- Remove chicken extract oil with kitchen paper.
- Pour sake (2 tbs), mirin (2 tbs), dark soy sauce (3 tbs), and sugar (1/2 tbs). *Adjust to taste.
- Cook it turning over occasionally for 10-15 minutes.
is a grilling technique in which fish or meet is glazed with a mixture of soy sauce, sake, and mirin while grilling or sauteing to add flavor and create a glossy shine. 照り焼き（てりやき） literally “glossy shine grill”
is a standard soy sauce. 濃口醤油（こいくちしょうゆ） literally “dark mouth soy-sauce”
is saltier than Koikuchi-Shoyu and it has lighter color. 薄口醤油（うすくちしょうゆ） literally “light mouth soy-sauce”